Stephen Marotta is a Senior Managing Director of Ankura Consulting Group and is based in New York, NY. Mr. Marotta has more than 30 years of providing professional accounting and consulting services to major corporations and businesses, including 25 years of consulting to financially troubled companies.
Mr. Marotta enjoys a national reputation as a restructuring expert and crisis manager forging consensual agreements among diverse parties. His experience includes business plan and disclosure statement development, viability assessments, reengineering and overhead reduction programs, claims and preference analyses, crisis management, and forensic investigation and litigation support. His industry experiences include real estate & construction, healthcare, retail, telecommunications, manufacturing, wholesale distribution, entertainment, and financial services. Among his many accomplishments he has served as CEO, CFO, CRO and Board positions in crisis management situations. He also has provided testimony with respect to valuation, liquidation and executory rejection claims.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Marotta was a Founding Principal of Marotta Gund Budd & Dzera, LLC (“MGBD”), which in 2016 was acquired by Ankura Consulting. Prior to that, Mr. Marotta was a principal with Zolfo Cooper, LLC.. He has provided consulting services in troubled company situations representing companies, creditors, investors and directors, as well as providing expert witness testimony.
Mr. Marotta’s experience includes:
- Chief Restructuring Officer to 95 Skilled Nursing Facilities totaling over 7,000 beds where we successfully refinanced over $200 million in senior debt.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of SynCardia, a level three medical device manufacturer, providing strategic and operational services during their financial restructuring.
- Vice Chairman & Chief Restructuring Officer of a national accessories manufacture selling private label costume jewelry to the major large box discounters.
- Receiver of several New York Radiology Companies successfully improving profitability while repaying judgment creditor and cleaning up outstanding vendors.
- Chief Restructuring Officer to Daytop, a substance abuse provider, providing strategic and operational services throughout their Chapter 11 process.
- Chief Executive Officer and founder of Oasis Management Resources, LLC, a real estate executive management and back office support entity located in Scottsdale Arizona.
- Advisor to the Secured Bank Group of Hicks Sports Group, providing strategic guidance during the Chapter 11 filings and subsequent sales of the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars.
- Director and Chief Executive Officer of high end residential golf communities spread across the United States.
- Advisor to the Secured Bank Group of Acadia, a $150 million international auto-parts manufacturer.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of ATX, a $300 million CLEC and ISP provider, resulting in a successful reorganization and emergence from a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of Conso, a $180 million decorative trimming and apparel manufacturer, resulting in the successful restructuring of its capital structure.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of International Check Services, a $100 million check cashing services company, where he successfully sold operations in a four-month period.
- Advisor to a 500 store dietary service provider, where he provided strategic consulting services.
- Chief Restructuring Officer of National Leisure Group, the world’s largest cruise travel vacation provider. At NLG his achievements included formulating a business plan, implementing a cost reduction program, managing day-to-day operations and successfully selling the operations.
- Chief Restructuring Officer at Protocol, a $200 million telemarketing and direct-mail company.
- Advisor to the Senior Bank Group of SourceLink, a $95 million direct-marketing company, where he provided strategic consulting services.
- Chief Financial Officer of U.S. Electrical Services, a $600 million distributor of electrical products.
Mr. Marotta received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Seton Hall University. He is a Certified Public Accountant in New Jersey and a Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor, and is a member of the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Association of Insolvency Accountants, and the American Bankruptcy Institute.