Philip J. Gund is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group and is based in New York, NY. Mr. Gund has more than 30 years of professional experience, including 26 years working with troubled companies, their creditors, investors, and court-appointed officials. Mr. Gund enjoys a national reputation as a restructuring expert and crisis manager forging consensual agreement among diverse parties. His troubled company experience crosses many different industries including: marine transportation; marine construction, automotive parts; healthcare; hotel development and management; retail; co-op purchasing and distribution; daily publications; printing; import/export; real estate and construction; specialty chemicals; coke and electrode production; alternative energy; telecommunication; golf courses and practice facilities; family entertainment centers; and manufacturing and wholesale distribution.
Mr. Gund has successfully advised and assisted clients with all aspects of the workout process including developing/evaluating business plans; performing due diligence procedures; developing, evaluating and negotiating reorganization/restructuring plans; preparing/analyzing court and creditor reports; and valuations. He has provided expert testimony regarding plan feasibility, valuation and best interests of creditors. Additionally, he has served as CEO, CRO and CFO in interim management situations, Responsible Officer in liquidation matters, and serves on the Board of Directors in a number of situations. Mr. Gund also serves on the Board of Catholic Renewal, a charitable organization providing food and shelter to people in need in the New York area.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Gund was a Founding Principal of Marotta Gund Budd & Dzera, LLC (“MGBD”), which in 2016 was acquired by Ankura Consulting. Prior to forming MGBD, Philip was a Principal at Zolfo Cooper, LLC. He has provided consulting services in troubled situations representing companies, creditors, investors and directors, as well as providing expert witness testimony
Mr. Gund’s experience includes:
- Chief Restructuring Officer to Vivaro, one of the largest pre-paid phone card companies.
- Chief Restructuring Officer to an international alternative energy construction company.
- Advisor to the Chapter 11 Trustee in the Lehr Construction chapter 11 providing crisis management services including responsibility for the management of approximately 20 interior construction projects.
- Advisor to an international wholesaler and distributor of OEM and replacement aviation component.
- Advisor to Sbarro, an international quick service food provider and franchisor.
- Advisor to the secured lenders of a national equipment rental company.
- Advisor to the Senior Lenders in a $460 million international auto parts supplier.
- Advisor to the Senior Lenders in a $380 million newspaper and media company.
- Advisor to the Senior Lenders in a $400 million international brand, wholesale and retail operation.
- President and Chairman of the Board of Global Document Solutions Corporation, a printing and document solutions company.
- Interim CEO of Hollywood Tanning Corporation.
- Interim CFO and Advisor to Century City Doctors Hospital, a Los-Angeles (CA) start-up hospital.
- Advisor to the Secured Lender of Bayonne Medical Center, a 278-bed, fully accredited acute care hospital.
- Advisor to MDNY Healthcare, an independent HMO.
- Advisor to Transportation & Transit Associates, LLC, a Commuter Rail Car Transit Re-builder and Assembler.
- Chief Financial Officer and Restructuring Officer of American Commercial Lines, LLC, one of the largest marine transportation, service and barge construction companies servicing to inland waterway system.
Mr. Gund graduated from Pace University with a BBA in Public Accounting in 1983. He is a CPA and CIRA and is a member of the AICPA, NYSSCPAs, AIRA, ABI, and TMA.