Jonathan Zambelli is a Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group and is based in New York. Mr. Zambelli has over 10 years of experience in corporate finance and forensic investigations. He has represented clients in both in-court and out-of-court restructurings, receiverships, and fraud investigations.
Mr. Zambelli has worked on internal and SEC investigations related to financial and securities fraud, embezzlement and circumvention of internal controls. Mr. Zambelli’s work has also included the development and review of business plans; financial modeling and projections; cash flow and liquidity analysis; managing treasury operations; claims analysis; operational due diligence; renegotiation of credit facilities; bankruptcy planning; unraveling of complex accounting transactions; asset tracing; and litigation support.
Prior to joining Ankura, Mr. Zambelli was a Senior Director in FTI Consulting’s Forensic and Litigation Consulting practice. Prior to FTI, Mr. Zambelli worked at Zolfo Cooper in their Restructuring practice.
Mr. Zambelli’s recent professional experience includes:
- SEC Receivership: Managed the team serving as the financial advisor to the SEC Receiver of the Michael Kenwood Group Receivership which involved unraveling a $700 million Ponzi scheme. This work included managing the operations of the receivership, winding down of the businesses, reconstructing the books and records, unraveling complex transactions, assistance with claw back actions, and claims administration.
- SDNY Receivership: Assisted the Receiver of a cash management business seized by the government after a $50 million embezzlement was exposed. Managed all aspects of the related bankruptcy proceeding, including winding down of the businesses and the liquidation of assets.
- Internal Fraud Investigation (PE Company): Led the detailed investigation of a managing partner at a multi-billion-dollar private equity company which resulted in identifying $65 million in misappropriated funds. This work included a detailed review of investment transactions and recommendations for internal control improvements.
- Internal Fraud Investigation (Manufacturing Company): Led the investigation related to a top executive of a global childcare products manufacturer. This work included interviews, detailed analysis of expense reports and the review of related policies and procedures.
- Special Committee Investigation: Assisted the investigation in connection with a restructuring of a quick service restaurant chain. This work included interviews of management/key employees and the review of numerous financial projections used to solidify the restructuring negotiations.
Mr. Zambelli holds a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Seton Hall University’s Stillman School of Business. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner and Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor. Mr. Zambelli is a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and a member of the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors.