Javier Alvarez is a Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group based in New York, NY. He has more than 14 years of experience in auditing, forensic accounting and litigation consulting. He has extensive international experience with large-scale financial investigations and litigation assignments including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) related matters and Receiverships. He has also provided accounting and consulting services to clients across a wide range of industries.
Prior to joining Ankura Consulting Group, Mr. Alvarez worked in the Forensic Litigation Consulting group at FTI Consulting and the Forensic and Investigative Accounting Services practice at Kroll. Mr. Alvarez began his career in the Financial Advisory Services practice at Deloitte & Touche, where he audited financial statements of public and private companies.
Mr. Alvarez has experience managing matters involving alleged FCPA violations. On a global scale, he has provided services related to international due diligence, Monitorships, implementing compliance programs and coordination of risk assessments for leading corporations. He has experience working with counsel to develop efficient work plans and to assemble and manage forensic teams of appropriate size and skill level to effectively deliver results. Mr. Alvarez has worked in many jurisdictions throughout South America, Africa, Middle East, and Europe. Mr. Alvarez has experience developing and presenting findings with counsel and government regulators.
Mr. Alvarez has managed other large-scale investigations, including Receivership matters, where he provided detailed analyses involving asset tracing, reconstruction of complex financial transactions and litigating support. In addition, he has also led internal and SEC related investigations in connection with situations involving financial and securities fraud, embezzlement, circumvention of internal controls and accounting malpractice.
Mr. Alvarez has also led other accounting related litigation and arbitration matters including post-closing purchase price disputes, white-collar crime, misappropriation of corporate assets, and revenue recognition. He provides forensic accounting litigation support including research, export report drafting and advisory services to counsel.
Financial Forensics — Mr. Alvarez has experience leading forensic accounting investigations. Responsibilities included unraveling complex accounting transactions and advising audit committee members and legal counsel as well as presenting findings to various third parties including the SEC and law enforcement. Some examples of this experience include:
- Led a team of forensic accountants in connection with the firm’s retention by the Receiver in the Michael Kenwood Ponzi scheme. Led all aspects of the investigation including various analyses related to the complex web of cash flows necessary to determine the entities involved in the commingled scheme and for claw-back litigation purposes. Coordinated findings with counsel, the SEC, U.S. Attorneys and other government authorities.
- Managed an investigation in connection with a Receivership of an ATM cash company. Led the forensic accounting analysis work, assisted with the drafting of a report issued by the Receiver and coordinated efforts with government authorities.
- Investigation of corrupt activities in former CIS countries on behalf of a company in the telecoms industry. Included on-site risk assessments in several former CIS countries which involved interviews, books and records reviews, and an assessment of the company’s current compliance program. Coordinated with outside Counsel and the results of our investigation and review were presented to the company’s outside auditors along with the DOJ/SEC.
- Directed an internal fraud investigation on behalf of the Board of Directors of a multi-billion-dollar company of industrial battery manufacturer. The investigation was predicated on allegations of accounting improprieties.
- Led and managed teams in various countries around the world in connection of an FCPA Monitorships of world leading companies in the oil and gas, as well as, industrial equipment manufacturer. The matter involved ascertaining whether payments were made to government officials as inducements for obtaining or retaining business.
- Provided consulting services to a publicly-held financial market data provider involved in a contract dispute with another market data provider. The adjustment involved various issues such as fixed costs, communications costs and extraordinary costs.
- Conducted an internal examination of a major financial institution designed to comply with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network and Bank Secrecy Act regulations specifically for alleged activities related to the lack of filing Suspicious Activity Reports.
Litigation and Dispute Services — Mr. Alvarez provides litigation support in cases with accounting disputes. Responsibilities included accounting research, expert report drafting, and advisory services to counsel. Some examples of this experience include:
- Assisted in the preparation of expert report related to an asset forfeiture case brought by the DOJ alleging that certain funds were received in connection with a Russian tax scheme.
- Assisted counsel in a post-closing purchase price dispute on behalf of an auto parts manufacturer. The dispute related to the sale of a company and resulted in approximately $40 million in adjustments on behalf of the client. The adjustments involved contract accounting and earn-out calculations.
- Managed numerous engagements involving post-closing purchase price disputes involving earn-out calculations. In addition, Mr. Alvarez assisted in arbitration proceedings and preparation of arbitration submissions.
- Performed damage calculations in a breach of contract dispute on behalf of a major information technology company involving the client and a manufacturing company. Findings resulted in a lost profits settlement.
Mr. Alvarez received a Bachelor of Arts in Accounting and Information Systems, and Economics from the Queens College of the City, University of New York.