Christopher Harvey is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura Consulting Group and is based in Chicago, IL. Mr. Harvey has almost two decades of experience providing clients with data analytic services related to forensic investigations, fraud, litigation support, information technology, risk monitoring, regulatory compliance, and financial reporting. He has significant experience in the financial services industry related to fraudulent behavior, funds tracing, trading strategies and processes, system evaluation and testing, and financial and regulatory reporting. Mr. Harvey has worked in conjunction with numerous government agencies to develop fact patterns and provide detailed analysis of key information to support investigations, lawsuits, and potential settlement discussions. Mr. Harvey possesses a strong background in finance and technology, allowing him to lead a holistic approach that considers business and technology related concerns when dealing with clients.
Mr. Harvey’s professional experience includes:
- Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities – Worked for more than seven years on behalf of the Liquidation Trustee and his counsel on the Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities investigation to provide investigative services, litigation support, forensic accounting, and electronic discovery services related to the largest reported Ponzi scheme in United States history. He led a large team in the recreation of the books and records in order to trace flow of funds to determine value of actions brought by the Trustee. Additionally, Mr. Harvey led the data analytics team in utilizing systematic processes to analyze mass amounts of data and information to provide investigative findings and support for legal actions.
- SIPC Claims Management & Investigation – Worked on behalf of SIPC to identify and analyze disparate and incomplete trading and position records as part of the liquidation of a bankrupt broker-dealer. Provided complex analytics to support the determination of hundreds of claims.
- SIPC Investigation – Worked on behalf of SIPC in the investigation of a failed broker-dealer. Led the effort to trace the flow of funds internationally, investigate certain individuals, determine claims and litigate against several parties.
- Inventory Theft Investigation – Led a team of technology and data analytic professionals in the investigation of internally executed theft of inventory and eventual restatement of financials for a Fortune 500 electrical cable and wire manufacturer and distributor. His team focused on the analyses of historic transactions and system manipulation in order to identify potentially suspicious transactions. Mr. Harvey worked with outside counsel to solidify and support the amount of estimated theft as well as determine the responsible parties.
- SEC/DOJ Investigation (Brokerage Firm) – Led a multi-disciplinary team, engaged by the Independent Audit Committee of a top 10 financial institution, in the investigation of trading activities, reporting practices, and the functionality of their proprietary trading system. The investigation involved deconstructing the proprietary trading systems and computer code, review of system controls, and reporting functionality. Mr. Harvey reported the findings of the investigation to various United States Government Agencies, including the SEC, DOJ, and FBI.
- SEC/DOJ Investigation (Brokerage Firm) – Conducted an investigation into a rogue trader incident within a top investment and brokerage firm. He worked with the firm’s financial and technology teams, in conjunction with a Department of Justice investigation, to review, assess, and test controls for various trading platforms, risk monitoring systems, and procedures. Additionally, he provided extensive recommendations in the areas of system controls, testing, configuration, and risk management.
Mr. Harvey received his Bachelor of Science from the Richard T. Farmer School of Business at Miami (OH) University, with a major in Finance and minor in Economics. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst ® (CFA) charterholder and member of the CFA Society of Chicago. He is a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE).