Cherie Schaible is the General Counsel at Ankura Consulting Group, located in the New York office, where she is responsible for all legal, compliance, corporate governance, and regulatory affairs. Ms. Schaible has more than 15 years of experience advising and representing clients on corporate governance, complex corporate transactions, restructurings, financings, regulatory, and compliance matters. Her wide range of clients has included corporations, financial institutions, institutional investors, insurance companies, and private equity and hedge funds.
Prior to Ankura, Ms. Schaible was an Associate General Counsel and Managing Director at AIG Investments. In this role, she managed a team of attorneys responsible for supporting a full range of investment transactions, including fixed income securities, loans, equity investments, and life settlements. In addition, Ms. Schaible was directly responsible for advising clients that managed in excess of $5 billion on restructurings, high yield transactions, and residential mortgage lending.
Ms. Schaible also supported the compliance department on various matters and worked with the regulatory team on processes to facilitate Federal Reserve Regulations, including corporate governance, policies, procedures, and legal entity reporting. She advised the impact and implementation of processes and procedures to comply with the Volcker Rule of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
Ms. Schaible began her legal career as an Associate for the bankruptcy, reorganization, and bank finance team at Shearman and Sterling, LLP. While at Shearman, Ms. Schaible was seconded to the Office of the Prosecution for the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda to assist with the prosecution of perpetrators of the Rwandan Genocide.
Ms. Schaible’s professional experience includes:
- Odebrecht Oil & Gas: Advised one of the largest holders of the $2.13 billion senior notes and $1.23 billion senior notes issued by affiliates of Odebrecht Oil and Gas secured by vessels, charters, and related contract rights in a possible restructuring of Odebrecht Oil and Gas.
- Ultra Petroleum: Advised a large member of a noteholder group in out-of-court discussions with Ultra Petroleum.
- Schahin Group: Formed a group of noteholders to negotiate a restructuring of the debt and exercise remedies against the Schahin Group.
- Maiden Lane II LLC: Advised on the offer and purchase of assets in Maiden Lane II, LLC from the Federal Reserve.
- Compliance and Trading: Worked with the Chief Compliance Officer on trading and other compliance policies, training of employees on compliance matters, and nationwide information barrier training.
- AIG Investments Asia: Negotiated the separation of AIG’s asset management division in Hong Kong.
- Residential Capital: Served on the official unsecured creditors’ committee for Residential Capital’s bankruptcy with respect to a $1.168 billion allowed claim.
- Residential Mortgage Lending: Advised on all legal aspects related to the entry and structuring of AIG’s participating in a correspondent whole loan purchase program and provided legal, compliance, and regulatory advice on all aspects of the secondary mortgage market program.
- Quebecor Inc.: Participated in an ad hoc group of noteholders in the company’s cross-border U.S. and Canadian bankruptcy filings.
- Tyco International Inc.: Served as member of a group of bondholders in a suit against Tyco over the spin-off of its Electronics and Healthcare divisions.
- Delphi: Advised Delphi Corporation in connection with a $4.5 billion debtor-in-possession financing.
- Oneida Ltd.: Advised Oneida Ltd in connection with a $40 million debtor-in-possession financing and $170 million exit financing.
Ms. Schaible earned a Masters in Corporate Law from New York University School of Law. She received both a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Training and a Bachelors of Law with honors from Bond University in Australia.